to our most at risk, and should be celebrated and appreciated."
-State Senator Nancy Skinner
in kindergarten and joy of lifelong learning
COVID-19 UPDATE March, 9 2023
On the advice of Alameda County Health Care for the Homeless and to protect our Seniors, St. Mary’s Center is maintaining COVID-19 precautions to protect our Seniors and preschoolers.
Effective April 2, 2023 masks are recommended but not required in the Community Center, Preschool, Offices, or Housing.
- Sunday dinners have resumed. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (510) 923-9600 x294 for updates.
- Breakfast and lunch have also resumed. We are coordinating meals and groceries to transitional housing and clients.
- If you are in need of an emergency food bag, leave a message at 510 923-9600 x 220. Please note that Alameda County discontinued the Emergency Food Program. If you would like to donate for the purchase of healthy, shelf-stable groceries, click the Donate button.
To enroll in We Connect and get free computer equipment and lessons, leave a message for Audrey at (510) 629-1484. Seniors are invited to join these online Zoom events:
- Senior Advocates for Hope and Justice
- Wednesdays at 11:00 am Zoom Meeting ID 842 4894 6285 Passcode: 123456
- Tai Chi for Arthritis
- Tuesdays at 3 pm Zoom Meeting ID 837 1842 2972 Passcode: 123456
- Thursdays at 3 pm Zoom Meeting ID: 873 9149 7526 Passcode: 123456
- Preschool is open for full day childcare. Call (510) 595-4030 to enroll your three or four year old child. Parents should keep children with symptoms home.
- Friendly Manor is temporarily closed while plumbing issues are fixed.
- Other questions? Call (510) 923-9600 x 222.
- St. Mary’s Center encourages everyone to get vaccinated with a booster to increase protection against the COVID-19 virus. Community Church, 1527 34th St., Oakland, 94608 is open: Mon 9 – 4; Weds 11 – 6; Thurs 9 – 4.
St. Mary's Center Is Making a Difference
Yesterday we celebrated the installation of advanced air filtration systems throughout St. Mary’s Center thanks to West Oakland Environmental Indicators Project and IQAir. This was an important milestone for some of West Oakland’s most pollution-impacted residents in the fight for clean indoor air! The new system will filter 95% of fine and ultrafine particles, including viruses, bacteria, allergens, and harmful traffic pollutants. ... See MoreSee Less
- Likes: 3
- Shares: 1
- Comments: 0
The Senior Resource Guide has landed! We are excited to share this incredible project put together sixteen St. Mary’s Center Seniors with lived experience of poverty and homelessness. The Seniors met for five months to organize their experience and knowledge on Alameda County’s resources into a guide for other Seniors.
This Senior Resource Guide will provide information to help access services that have historically been too difficult to navigate - services that connect seniors to Food, Physical and Mental Health Services, Housing Services, Internet Access, Legal Services, Social Services, and Transportation.
Visit the guide on our website at: stmaryscenter.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/Guide-3923-223pm.pdf ... See MoreSee Less
Happy St. Patrick's Day! As many of you know we usually hold our annual gala around this time. After three years of rescheduling due to the pandemic, we are excited to announce that St. Mary’s Center’s Annual Gala will return in person on June 10, 2023. ... See MoreSee Less
Come celebrate with us as we mark an important milestone for some of West Oakland’s most pollution-impacted residents in the fight for clean indoor air! We are so excited to announce the installation of advanced air filtration systems throughout St. Mary’s Center, vastly improving the indoor air quality in our transitional housing facilities, Community Center, and Preschool.
- Hear from WOEIP organizers, local residents, and air quality experts.
- Enjoy a complimentary lunch of Gumbo
- Get your questions about clean air and local environmental issues answered by the experts
... See MoreSee Less
Celebrate Clean Air for Seniors w/ WOEIP, St. Mary’s & IQAir FoundationHear from local organizers, community residents, and air quality experts as we celebrate an important milestone in the fight for clean air!
We are putting together a cookbook comprised of recipes from St. Mary’s Seniors, volunteers, and staff to commemorate our 50th Anniversary. Volunteers will meet with Seniors to interview and photograph them to get their recipe.
For more details contact our Volunteer Coordinator at email@example.com or call 510-923-9600 ext. 231
• Must enjoy working with people and have great listening skills.
• Must be able to ask leading questions regarding the topic, but also handle situations with discretion and confidentiality when necessary.
• Should have a working knowledge of cooking procedures and processes
• Must be able to quickly analyze comments to formulate questions that help guide the conversation
Flexible. Interview sessions will probably last at least half an hour. In- person interviews preferred but if that is not possible, phone calls or Zoom sessions can be arranged. ... See MoreSee Less